You can configure your interface to automatically take certain actions with certain emails by setting up rules. For instance, all messages from a certain address can be automatically saved in a certain folder.
Also, this is also where you can set an automatic reply or “vacation message” to be sent in response to any incoming message. The rules screen can be accessed by clicking on the large button that looks like a gear at the very top of the webmail page.
To create a new rule:
- Type a name for your rule in the “Rule Name” field.
- Click “Create”. Once the rule has been created, it will be listed at the top of the window, and can be configured.
- Use the “priority” dropdown to specify whether some rules must take effect before others. Lower numbers indicate higher priority.
- To configure a rule, click the “Edit” link on the right portion of the rule’s listing. This gives you a set of dropdown boxes that allow you to choose the circumstances that will trigger the rule to take effect, and what it should do.
- Select the proper “Data”, “Operation”, and “Parameter” fields. These allow you to configure the triggering circumstances.
For instance, if you want this rule to affect all messages from email@example.com, then you would set “Data” to From, and “Operation” to Is, and then type firstname.lastname@example.org into the “Parameter” field.
- Set the “Action” and other “Parameter” field. “Action tells the interface what to do if the criteria of the first three fields is met. For instance, if you want to store all messages from email@example.com in a specific folder, you would choose the “Action” of Store In and you would specify which folder you desire.
- Click the button with the green check mark to save any changes that have been made. These changes will take effect immediately.
- Clicking the button with the red “X” will undo any changes.